In recent times more and more people are realising the amazing health benefits of coconut oil but did you know it can also be great for your dog’s health too? Personally I all for natural remedies and I love using Biona Organic which is available in most health food shops. If you can’t find this particular brand then just make sure to pick one that is organic and free from bleaching and pasteurisation. When I rescued my dog Lily she had little or no hair on her tiny head and her ears were bald. After 6 weeks of adding coconut oil to her diet the results were amazing. Full head of hair and fluffy ears! I recently decided to do a little research into this miracle oil and here are the top 10 reasons to add coconut oil to your dog’s diet:
1. It helps to reduce weightand increase energy. Good enough reason for us humans to try it!
2. Promotes mobility in dogs with arthritis and joint issues.
3. Great natural remedy for skin problems including eczema, dermatitis and general itching.
4. Supports a healthy coat and helps promote hair growth.
5. Improves digestion and nutrient absorption.
6. Can be used on cuts, wounds, bites and stings to help heal and keeps infection at bay due to its antibacterial properties. Herbalists have been known to use coconut oil as an ingredient to prepare healing salves and ointments.
7. As an anti-oxidant, coconut oil is 50 times more potent vitamin E, 15 times more potent than carrots and 300 times more potent than tomatoes!
8. For the more senior dog it’s excellent for improving brain activity and is currently being used to help people with dementia.
9. Doggy breath! Yes it helps reduce and sometimes eliminate it. Some dog owners even brush their dog’s teeth with coconut oil. At least it tastes yummy so I guess this could work!
10. Coconut helps prevent diabetes by regulating and balancing insulin.
Phew! this really is a miracle oil.. As with all new supplements, start with a small amount such as 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon a day for small dogs, puppies and one teaspoon for large dogs. You can gradually increase the amount to teaspoon (5ml) per 10 pounds (5kg) of body weight, or 1 tablespoon (15ml) per 30 pounds (13.6 kg) of body weight.
Another great way to give to your dog is simply warm the coconut oil in the palm of your hands and let your pet lick the oil directly from your hands! Or about giving your pet a coconut belly rub, they deserve to be spoilt to right?!
Best of all you can use it too! Try massaging into your hair before going to bed. Wash out in the morning and va va vroom you’ve got silky healthy hair.
Have you used coconut oil in your dog’s diet? Please share your experiences with us below..